Skip to main content

Mystery Plant Hanger

We have a building next to Our Gilded Abode that serves many purposes.  It houses our riding lawn mowers and lawn maintenance equipment, our lumber stash, hubby's tools that he uses infrequently, the big monstrous table saw, and basically anything else that we don't want cluttering up the garage attached to our house.  It's also a catch-all for things that are no longer needed but are "too good" to toss. 

As much as I don't necessarily like keeping things that aren't being used, I have to admit that having them has come in handy many times.

So when I decided I needed a bracket or hanger to hang my Boston fern from our back porch post, I knew just where to look for something to use. 

My first thought was to find an old plant hanger that I was no longer using.  And, within 10 minutes, I found just that. 




It would have worked perfectly fine and would have been a quick and easy option - just paint it, attach it to the porch post, hang the plant, and move on to the next project. 

But ........ you KNOW that wasn't going to happen!  LOL  It was a very boring option and not very creative at all.

So, I kept searching in the building and found this:




The perfect shape and  very heavy duty.   Was evident its original purpose wasn't to hang a lovely plant on a porch, but I didn't know what it was.  My first guess was perhaps a squirrel feeder - the kind that you screw a whole ear of corn to the base.

Squirrel Feeder


Plausible, but the curved "arm" didn't seem to serve a purpose. 

Even though I knew that in the end I'd use it as a plant hanger bracket, I wanted to know what it was.  So, I contacted Betsy at My Salvaged Treasures.  She has done some amazing repurposing projects using many types of items.  If you've not seen her wonderful blog, please check it out here.  If anyone would be able to help me identify this item, I knew it would be Betsy and her followers.

Sure enough, they didn't disappoint!  Through Betsy I learned that this item is actually a vintage spool holder that was mounted on the countertop of general stores, bakeries and butcher shops to hold spools of string and twine.  What a neat item! 



Now with the mystery solved, I was ready to implement my new use for the spool holder.  All it took was three long decking screws and the spool holder has a new and useful life as a plant hanger for my Boston fern. 




How do you feel about repurposing antique and vintage items?  I am personally all for it.  Rather than having the spool holder gathering more dust and spider webs in our building, it now has a prominent place on our back porch and is serving a true purpose, albeit not its original purpose. 

Some feel that old items should be maintained in their original condition.  I agree with that to some extent - if the item has extreme monetary value, I wouldn't touch it.  But, I feel that common everyday household items that are not needed for their original purpose should be repurposed and put to good use. 

What are your thoughts on repurposing antique or vintage items?  Please share!




 Thank you to My Flagstaff Home for graciously featuring this post!



 

Sharing with:

Comments

  1. I love what you did with your what's it, and I'm so happy that my Facebook readers were able to identify it. I'm all for repurposing vintage items that have no significant monetary value, it's so much better to put them to good use instead of stashing them away or having them end up in the landfill. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding new uses for old or stashed away things. Looks great! Thanks for linking up at the Weekend Blog Hop at My Flagstaff Home!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just want to let you know that your post will be featured this week at the Weekend Blog Hop at My Flagstaff Home. Be sure to stop by on Thursday evening (www.myflagstaffhome.com).

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new plant hanger! So creative!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Frugal Craft Space - File Cabinet Makeover

After years of having our kitchen island serve as my craft table, I am excitedly creating a craft space in our guest room where craft supplies and equipment can remain set up and ready to go!  I envisioned a large craft table supported by two 2-drawer file cabinets.  The cabinets provide great storage, but were less than attractive and desperately needed a makeover.




The first criteria for the new craft space was to be frugal and to use items we already had on hand whenever possible - basically, the same criteria for any project we undertake. No surprise there!



 Supplies:

Two metal 2-drawer file cabinets
Four decorative drawer pulls
Zinsser 123 Primer
Latex Paint
12 large wood paint stir sticks
Paint brush
Mitre saw box or hand saw 
Loctite Power Grab adhesive
220 grit sandpaper
Wood filler


We already had one file cabinet and located another of the exact same height at a local thrift store for only $15.  Along with being thrifty, an added bonus is that older metal file cabinets are made really well…

DIY Console Table Reveal

Last weekend we took advantage of the gorgeous weather and turned our garage into a workshop as we measured, measured again, cut, assembled and sanded the boards that would result in this beauty ....







To say that we like it is an understatement!  

This journey began with the need to replace our drastically undersized original console table and you can read more about that HERE.



Our inspiration was Ana White's Rustic X Console.  We followed Ana's wonderful free plans to construct the frame using 2" x 2" and 2" x 4" boards.  These were the only boards we had to purchase, as we had the two shelf boards (1" x 12" each) and three tabletop boards (2" x 6" each) on hand.

The finished dimensions are a whopping 76-1/2" x 18" x 32" - a little over 6 feet, making it much more appropriately sized for our 18' long wall (our original console table was only 42".)

You'll notice a few additional foyer changes as well.  The wall was…

2016 Christmas Decor

It's starting to look and feel a lot like Christmas ... the presents are wrapped, the mantel is aglow, and our home is an explosion of glittery gold, bold red and deep green.




This year's mantel is decked out in three layers of garlands ... a base of vertically strung pinecones, and a lighted spruce garland, topped off with a gilded cascading garland.  Instructions for the DIY pinecone garland are HERE.



Above the mantel, a traditional spruce wreath with gold and red ball ornaments is surrounded by a gold open picture frame and a symmetrical arrangement of glittery cutout gold stars and red trees, red felt cone trees, and copper lanterns filled with gold wrapped candles.

A splash of red also warms the hearth area - this darling wood step stool painted with shiny red enamel was built by hubby's grandfather many years ago and is the perfect perch for the vintage red truck and tree.  Surprisingly, our gold painted Thanksgiving pumpkin appears to be alive and well to shine on throu…